Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Day of Laziness and Spicy Food

Today was a day where we just didn't do a whole lot. I went to bed early last night after a night of karaoke. To those who know me, you would think I was in my element, at the karaoke bar. But, to be honest, the selection of songs wasn't suited to me, it was really hot in the room that we were all in (all 15 Purdue people and the majority of the Australians I've come to know and love) and it just wasn't as pleasant an experience as I had hoped. Apparently, though, there a better karaoke place a bit farther away (this was within walking distance of the dorm), so maybe that will be a better time.

I woke up late(ish), and went to a Korean restaurant that's on the campus here. We had NO IDEA what we were ordering. I got this weird, extremely spicy rice dish (at least I think it was rice) that had, not kidding, a fried egg on the top. It was so spicy I could only eat about a third of it. Water is such a pain to order here, and so expensive, that it's easier, and more economical, to just eat a little bit of something spicy than keep ordering water.

I did laundry when I got back from the restaurant. I think I'm going to just end up buying a bunch of cheap towels from the supermarket here on campus because they're such a pain to wash and dry. Plus, I've had a couple of days where mud and my shoes have gone at war, with the mud infiltrating the majority of our bathroom space. It's just easier to clean up all the mess with a towel than...umm...something else?

So, right now, the little load of laundry that I did is hanging above me. I'm hoping it's dry, or something resembling dry, by the time I need it tomorrow. If it isn't, we have a problem.

I found out today, after about a week of struggle with AT&T and Samsung (I'll call them out. I'm ticked enough I don't really care at this point!), I will have to purchase a Chinese cell phone so I can use the Chinese SIM card that all of the volunteers have.

So, tomorrow, our last free day before training starts, I have to find a phone, hope my laundry is done, and go to a nice(ish) dinner for one of the Australians who is no longer with us (meaning she isn't at our campus anymore...she's not dead!). Shouldn't be too hard, right?

Hope things are going well back home.

Phil

1 comment:

Sherri said...

Phil;

I can't help but think of you as Andrew Zimmer and all those exotic food dishes!! Keep blogging - Have A Great Time!!

Sherri McGraw