Monday, July 7, 2008

Landing on a Jet Plane

I landed in Beijing at 2:30 PM here in China, 2:30 AM back at home. It was a long day after a flight from Indy to O'Hare this morning and a long LONG layover in Chicago. But, hey, any excuse to eat a Chicago dog is alright with me.

The flight from Chicago to Beijing is sort of a blur because, to be honest, I slept a lot. I remember watching some mediocre Disney Channel shows and starting to watch a movie, but I fell asleep soon thereafter. Then, every hour and a half or so, I would get up, mull around and try to amuse myself somehow, but eventually fall back asleep again.

Then, we took a ride on a taxi from the airport to our dorm, the Communications University of China. Finding a taxi driver who knew where we were supposed to go was a challenge in itself. Then, the adventure began.

Let me say this about China drivers: Watching out the windshield was like watching me playing "Grand Theft Auto". Except it was all real and not nearly as fun.

Our rooms are alright. Small, but, to be honest, more storage space than I expected.

Speed Bump #1: The adapter I brought with me to fit the plugs here in China doesn't fit with my computer's adapter. And my battery is about to die. So, I have to either look for a new one or give up on mine entirely and use the computers in the lab here, which just isn't nearly as fun.

Other than that, it's been a long first day here. Tomorrow, we start some sightseeing and things like that.

Talk to you all soon,

Phil

1 comment:

Dr. Bush said...

Hi Phil,

Great to hear about your fantastic adventure. What a great opportunity. Howard and Sally Crawford visited China a couple of summers ago. They shared their experience in traffic. Actually they filmed their taxi ride which went in and out of traffic, including on the sidewalk as conditions warranted.

Howard said you should have no trouble finding an adapter as there should be lots of computer stores in Beijing. He was able to get some things very inexpensively.

Have fun.

Dr. Bush