Wednesday, July 23, 2008

A Day of Venues

So, did you know that we're here for the Olympics? I had no idea!! I mean, I got that card thingy that says I'm with the Olympics, but I hadn't really done anything...til today.

Today, we visited our venue(s). First of all, it's about an hour long ride on the subway. We get to ride the subway for free with our accreditation, so, even though I look like Grizzly Adams in my photo, it's not a big deal for us to take the train.

Then, after getting out of the subway station, it's about a 10 minute walk to the cycling cluster.


Yeah...it does look like a spaceship.

The first thing we saw, after walking through the offices that we'll be working in and seeing where the press will be sending their stories after each race, we went into the velodrome. We walk into this area and see one of the Friendlies (see previous post) and about 25 hot Chinese dancers all in a choreographed dance number.



Then, we got to walk on the track, which is really a site to behold.





Then, we traveled outside to the BMX area. BMX, for those of you who may not knew, is new this year.

This was taken from the starting platform of the BMX track, somewhere that was so crazy to be standing on. The course starts with a HUGE downslope so that the riders can gain speed and look that much cooler when they race.

Then, we hit up the mountain biking course.


That's really the only bit of the course you could see from where we were, since it's carved out of a mountain.

So, now, after that hard, hard work day, we're off until Monday. So, I think I'm going to start looking in to exploring some restaurants and some side trips and things like that.

After I came back and took an American TV break, I went with some of the Australians to go see the Water Cube and the Bird's Nest, the two coolest and most popular venues here at the games.


Me outside the Bird's Nest. I don't know why I look like I just got hit over the head with a frying pan by Tweetie Bird, but it's pretty cool. And, no, I didn't end up in jail. The entire area around the Nest is behind fences and under guard watch because a) it's cool and b) it's where the Opening Ceremony will be held, and they're being so hush hush about it all.

This is the water cube where all of the...uhh...water events will take place. I'll never get in there, but dangit if it isn't so freaking cool.

Well that was the day today. No idea what's coming for tomorrow.

Talk to you all soon...

Phil

No comments: