Tuesday, August 5, 2008

I Love Our Staff

So, I was going to post about the wonderful Subway TV entertainment, but then I looked and I'll have a starring role in the J&C blog tomorrow, so I'll save it until then.

Today was the first day of cyclists on the track. And, to be honest, it was pretty uneventful. A lot of cyclists, especially cyclists who are endurance riders (or "enduros" as Amy calls them) might not even be here yet because of the pollution and weather. It's a whole lot more beneficial to practice in the mountains of Germany or in Australia or someplace like that than it would be to just keep riding around the track a week and a half before they're races start.

So, today was kind of slow going, but I worked a little more on my story and did more research on riders and, even though it was only one or two, we got to watch some riders on the track. We also got to see the pace bike for the Keirin.

The Keirin is an event where the cyclists have to run behind a motor bike for a billion laps, jockeying for position. Then, the bike leaves and they sprint for a couple of laps, every man (or woman) for themselves. Well, we got to see the pace bike, which was pretty cool, actually.

Every day is a reminder of how awesome of a staff we have to work with. I hear stories (not necessarily horror stories, but less than pleasant stories) from people from other sports and other jobs where people just sit and do nothing all day, have no idea what they're supposed to do, etc. We have a very good balance of being prepared while being able to take time with whatever we're doing and having fun while doing it.

So, we now have about two and a half weeks (not to be confused with Two and Half Men...though, oddly enough, I could have bought every season of it from certain DVD shops) left and I feel weird. I feel like we're winding down, but ramping up. I just hope things keep going the way they're going and everything turns out well.

No comments: