Thursday, August 14, 2008

"Phil Got Shot in the Head"

In a figurative way, of course. Let me explain.

If you hadn't figured it out, our jobs, as of this point, has been a lot of fishing. We look at which teams are scheduled to practiced at that moment and look at the big fish for each team, the favourites in each race or whatnot. Then, you have to a) hope they actually show up to practice, b) agree to talk with you and c) speak English. As Frankie Valli says in "Jersey Boys", getting an interivew is like the Stations of the Cross.

Now, every time, until today, I have been rejected by someone for an interview, it's either been for a good reason (ie, the team has to get on a bus soon or they have a meeting at the embassy or they don't speak English (and even that hasn't been much of a deterrent)) or done with all the politeness in the world.

That is, until today.

I was up at the track and was planning on interviewing a Danish cyclist who is the runner-up for the Points Race from the World Championships this year. But, mainly, Krystyna gave her to me because she was cute.

And, no I'm not kidding.

But, this is after Ernst made "friends" with one of the Netherlands cyclists by helping her carry stuff down to the locker room. It was adorable.

But anywho, so I was waiting for the Danish team to finish up in practice so I could go talk to her, when Ernst and I saw the Danish coach doing an interview. So, he logically suggested I should try to get him to talk as well and could maybe lump it all together in a story about the Denmark team. So, after he was done with the interview, I went up to him and asked him if I could talk to him now or after practice.

"No."

And that was it. I was donezo. Stick a fork in that possible interview. Shot down. Which explains the title of this post...

Kelsey: We've been shot DOWN today! Phil got shot in the head!"

Aaaaaaaaaaand scene.

Well, anyway, I ended up getting the interview and it went really well. This good day was all topped off with the fact that today started the period of time where we get a shuttle bus to the venue, meaning that our charming (wipe the sarcasm off that statement) subway ride everyday will cease to be. Added bonus: on the shuttle, we watch Chinese music videos and Bruce Lee movies.

After we got back from work, we headed over to Annie's Italian Experience. Yes, I swear that's the real name and yes, I'm well aware it sounds like a ride at MGM studios. But, in all actuality it's a really really good Italian joint here. Awesome fettucine with ham and mushrooms, cappucino and tiramisu. Then, on the cab ride back, I had the best cab ride ever.

We get in the cab and Andrea decided to make friends with the cabbie by giving him a KitKat. Then, he asked us (we think) if we knew any Chinese. So, we start going through what we know.

Hi hao. Hello.
Booyao. I don't want it.
Xie xie. Thank you.
Pijou. Beer.
I Ping Xiue. Cold bottled water.
Tai gue la. That's too expensive!

Just to name a few. So, then, in an act of desperation, above Lauren and I laughing at the situation in the background, Andrea sings "Beijing Welcomes You," the official song of the 2008 games.



So, then the man proceeds to teach us the rest of the song. And, then the flood gates opened. We learned up, down, left, right, I am an American, He is an American, She is an American. It was the perfect cap to a really fun day.

Tomorrow starts the insanity of the Olympics. Events start @ 4:30.

No comments: